The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) sets out the special tax rules for subcontractors who work in the construction industry and how payments must be handled by contractors.
As a contractor, you are required to meet specific obligations under the scheme, including registering with HMRC, checking whether your subcontractors are registered with HMRC, paying subcontractors, deducting tax and submitting monthly statements confirming these payments.
Services we provide for contractors:
- Register you with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as a contractor
- Verify your subcontractors with HMRC
- Ensure you pay your subcontractors correctly within the scheme
- Supply deduction statements to the subcontractors
- Keep your records in good order and supply HMRC with monthly returns
- Make sure you do not incur penalties by failing to submit your monthly returns to HMRC
If you are a sub-contractor, your main obligation is to register with HMRC. You must also keep HMRC informed of any changes to your business such as changes to your business address, business name, business partners and other relevant information.
Services we provide for Sub-contractors.
- Determine your status as a subcontractor or employee, (or both) and register you with HMRC accordingly
- Verify you with HMRC on behalf of your contractor
- Manage and organise your business records
- Prepare your end of year self-assessment tax return and calculate your tax liability/ refund where applicable
For a free initial meeting to discuss all your CIS – Construction Industry Scheme related needs, please drop us a line using our Online Quick Quote Form